by Paul Rand
What are the 5 misconceptions of Graphic Design?
1. "we make things look pretty"
2. That Graphic Design is Just on the Computer
3. Designers are just artists.
4. That our work is purely Frivolous.
5. It's easy, that anyone can do it.
I was in charge of reactions to 2 & 4.
visual reactions to "Graphic Design is Just in the Computer"
- Hand generated Design
ex. Paul Rand
- Emphasis on texture present at show.
- Emphasis on Craft
ex. Carl Kurts
current students with master craft.
- Showcasing old school design methods (history component)
ex. Venezky's process
- Hand lettering
visual reactions to Graphic Design is Frivolous
- Social change & social sustainability
Design Ignites Change projects
ex. The Redesign of Prescription bottles for Target (by alumni)
Garrett's Braille playing cards
- Immense impact on society
vote posters, of current students + Alumni